Frankly speaking, everytime I watched ‘Queen’ on television, the only thought that would come to mind about Rajkummar Rao is that he’s hardly anyone to be taken too seriously. That this guy is only meant for those tiny, sidey roles (in ‘Queen’, in ‘Dolly Ki Doli’, ‘Talaash’ et al).
But not anymore. Why you may ask? This actor is more than what meets the eye. To begin with, he’s only 33, and has achieved a lot in his cinematic career. Believe it or not, this guy really sinks into the skin of the character he portrays onscreen. Here’s how…
- He REALLY got his HAIR CHOPPPED OFF for his upcoming film ‘Bose’. At 33, he worked immensely hard to look like 43, and even got a receding hairline custom made so that he looks genuine in his role. He even ate food like a bolimic to achieve a pot belly.
2. He admittedly went without shower for as many as 20 days in order to prep for his role in the 2015 film ‘Hamari Adhuri Kahaani’. The film may have tanked but his role did not go unnoticed.
3. He survived only on carrots and coffee in order to look like a really starved man in his role in the film ‘Trapped’.
4. Did you know he’s even played the role of an eunuch and from this picture, looks like he played it quite flawlessly. Bengali film ‘Ami Sairabanu’ would have been Raj’s debut in Bengali cinema, but the film never got released. But hey, playing such a role is quite a big decision in itself.
5. He played ‘Shiva’ in his recently released romantic comedy ‘Behen Hogi Teri’ along with Shruti Haasan as his female lead.
6. He even worked up six pack abs and biceps to play the ultimate lover boy in the romcom BHT (Behen Hogi Teri).
7. Of course, there is prosthetics, but then he dared to get it done for such a role in ‘Raabta’. This look of Rajkummar Rao had shocked as well as surprised everyone.
Later, Rajkummar starved himself to an unbelievable point for his role in ‘Trapped’ and is now carrying a heavy, protruding belly for ‘Bose’. Believe it or not, his films don’t set up records at the Box Office or tuck in a hefty hundred crores, but his acting prowess is something that is always appreciated.
No wonder he deserved not just a huge applause but also a National Award and a Filmfare Critics Award for his commendable job in ‘Shahid’.
Coz you know when Aamir Khan dons a different avatar, we gush over him but when an actor like Rao does it, we hardly even notice. CHEERS TO THIS UNDER-RATED ACTOR. We hope you continue to enthrall us!